Color Management Systems
Some information concerning Colour Management Systems, related to my presentation intituled Colour Management: Why and How at Oslo International Colour Conference,
Colour between Art and Science, Oct 8-11, 1998, Oslo, Norway.
You might also want to take a look at my homepage, my articles, and my color and imaging homepage containing hundreds of hyperlinks concerning color and imaging. Please let me know if you find any defective hyperlinks or if you would like to add some information to this page.
Some CMS vendors and software
Note that the listed software may differ greatly in price and quality. This list is not exhaustive. Please let me know if you have completions. Note also that some software may only provide some of the tasks normally attributed to a Color Management System (e.g. device profiling), and that not all are ICC compliant. Quotes are from the manufacturers web pages.
- Apple Inc. with ColorSync, which "saves time and money by enabling
Mac OS users to simplify color preparation and
previewing in house. It provides powerful control
over color matching at every step of the
- Color Solutions Inc. with ColorBlind. "With ColorBlind Matchbox, you get all the tools you
need for creating and maintaining ICC profiles - in
- Agfa Gevaert N.V. with ColorTune. "Agfa ColorTune is the stand-alone software solution for
professional color management, not linked to any type or kind of
scanner, monitor or printing device. It allows you to maximize
the color quality of your results by creating and editing
individual ICC color profiles for your scanner, your monitor and
your printer, instead of using generic profiles."
- Heidelberg CPS GmbH with LinoColor. "The single most important fact about LinoColor
software and scanners is that they work in the
CIELAB device-independent color space."
- Kodak Color Management System
- LOGO GmbH with ProfileMaker/LogoSync
- Sonnetech, Ltd. with Colorific
- FotoWare AS with Color Factory
- Couleur Communication Ecriture (CCE), S.A.R.L. with AffixColor
- Pantone with ColorReady
- Microsoft Inc. with ICM. ICM 2.0, integrated in Windows 98 and NT 5.0, uses the LinoColor color management module (CMM) to convert between several colour-spaces, using ICC device profiles. The profiles must be created with third-party software
- Delta E (formerly Cactus) with Profiler. "Delta E
has broken the price barrier for digital color calibration by
offering fast, easy-to-use color calibration tools."
- Monaco Systems Color Management. "Complete color management and workflow automation systems"
- Candela, Ltd with Color Synergy. "This device profiling software
brings consistent, accurate color to all members of your desktop system and provides everything
you need to fine tune the tools of your trade."
- Vivid Details with Test Strip, "a powerful
Photoshop plug-in that is
exclusvely designed for color
correction, proofing and calibration."
Other hyperlinks concerning colour management
A very incomplete list...
Web design and content by Jon Yngve Hardeberg.
Last modified on July 7, 1999. Disclaimer: The contents of this web page represent my personal view of the world, and I am the only one that can be blaimed for any blunders.